Here are some of the highlights and milestones related to Emergency Care at Milford Memorial.
They were compiled from the book, “Origin & History: Milford Memorial Hospital, Seventy-Five Years of Caring,” and recollections of current Emergency Department staff, including Karen O’Toole, RN, BSN, CEN, nurse manager, and Julianne Wysocki, DO, medical director, Milford Memorial Emergency Department.
- Milford Emergency Hospital opens
- Proceeds from a baseball game are used to purchase a modern ‘sterilizing outfit’ that was later transferred to the Emergency Room of Milford Memorial
- Milford Memorial Hospital opens
- A new hospital wing, including a new Emergency Room, is built and dedicated
- Another new wing (Burton-Fischer Wing) is constructed and opens—it “includes a new Emergency Room with improved patient privacy and 12 beds, power columns so that life-saving equipment can easily be hooked up at any angle around the patient, and increased space to allow for improved patient flow”
- First trauma designation (level 3) is received
- Ribbon cutting ceremony is held to open the newly renovated Emergency Department
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) program begins
- Construction was completed that enlarged Emergency and Trauma Services
- First Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system (McKesson) launches in Emergency Department before it expands hospital wide
- Level 3 Certification from Delaware Emergency Medical Service for Children program is received
- Emergency Department Fellowship Program is developed and instituted
- Trauma room is reconstructed to a negative pressure room to provide care for any suspected Ebola patients
- Magnet® designation for all of Bayhealth is achieved
- New EMR system (Epic) launches for all of Bayhealth
- Telemedicine programs begin
- Stroke Center certification is received
- Emergency Department doctors become employed by Bayhealth
Visit BayhealthSussex.org to learn more about the history of Bayhealth Milford Memorial and the new Bayhealth Sussex Campus that is scheduled to open in early 2019.