Milford man confronts state police with gun, dies after tasing

(Updated) MILFORD, Del. – The Delaware State Police Homicide Unit is currently conducting a death investigation where a man who brandished a handgun was tased during a warrant attempt west of Milford that occurred on Sunday, Dec. 20.

Lionel Waters, 35 of Milford, was being cared for at the Hospice Center of Delaware and was pronounced deceased on Saturday, Jan. 9. The Delaware Division of Forensic Science was contacted and an autopsy was conducted. The results are pending.

The Trooper involved is a six year veteran of the Delaware State Police and has been placed on administrative duties.

The investigation is being conducted by the Delaware State Police and the Attorney General’s office.

(Original) MILFORD, Del. – The Delaware State Police are investigating a man who brandished a handgun while Troopers were attempting to execute a warrant west of Milford.
The preliminary investigation of the incident revealed it occurred at 10:06 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 20, 2015 as the Dover Police Department requested the Delaware State Police to conduct a warrant attempt for a wanted subject, Richard Wilson, 36 of Milford, located in the 60o block of Milford-Harrington Highway, Milford. 
The Dover Police Department had a pending warrant for Richard Wilson for a Criminal Contempt of a Domestic Violence Protective Order (Violation of Protection From Abuse Order).
Upon arrival to the residence, troopers observed an unknown black male in the residence. The black male was later identified as Lionel Waters, 35 of Milford, who would not provide any information pertaining to his identity or allow troopers access to the residence. 
Troopers then began to depart the property and the unknown black male opened the front door and advised he had a weapon.  Troopers then engaged Waters and demanded the unknown black male subject to drop the weapon. 
Troopers observed what appeared to be a firearm in his possession and made numerous requests for Waters to drop the firearm which he refused, according to a press release. The male subject then became agitated, aggressive and actively resisted arrest. 
A trooper then deployed his divisionally issued Taser and was unable to successfully take the suspect into custody. Fellow troopers did assist in taking the subject into custody as the subject continued to actively resist arrest.
Troopers requested an ambulance to respond in reference to the Taser deployment and assisting troopers collected and secured the firearm. 
Waters went unconscious at the scene and it was at this point that the troopers realized that he had gone into cardiac arrest and immediately began administering CPR and additional life-saving efforts until paramedics arrived. He was transported to Milford Memorial Hospital and is currently listed in stable but critical condition. The preliminary investigation indicates alcohol may have been a factor in regards to Lionel Waters.
Richard Wilson was later taken into custody as he arrived at the residence several hours later.  Wilson was turned over to Dover Police Department in reference to his outstanding arrest warrant.
No troopers were injured in this incidence.
The Delaware State Police and the Attorney General’s office are reviewing the incident and charges are pending against Lionel Waters.

The Milford Chronicle is proud to deliver news to the Greater Milford Community. Follow @ChronicleNews37 on Twitter.

You are encouraged to leave relevant comments but engaging in personal attacks, threats, online bullying or commercial spam will not be allowed. All comments should remain within the bounds of fair play and civility. (You can disagree with others courteously, without being disagreeable.) Feel free to express yourself but keep an open mind toward finding value in what others say. To report abuse or spam, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box.